Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1-2 small butternut squash (or 1 packages pre-cut)
extra virgin olive oil
2 small onions (or 1 large), diced
2 baking-type apples (not sweet), peeled & chopped
2 tsp. curry powder
6 cups water (add up to 2 cups more water if necessary)
2 Rapunzel vegetable broth bouillon cubes
sea salt to taste
- Slice the butternut squash, by cutting in half and then cutting into wedges
- Preheat oven to 410 deg. and line a baking sheet with parchment, well oiled with olive oil
- Rub wedges with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast butternut squash wedges (skin on) for about 20-30 minutes, or until soft and well-cooked. Remove & reserve squash.
- Heat a large soup pot, add a few Tbsp. of olive oil, and saute onions until soft & browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add apple slices and cook another 7-10 min. until soft. Add & stir in the curry powder.
- Peel the skins off the squash wedges with a spoon, and add to the pot. Immediately add 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Add the vegetable broth bouillon cube & stir. Cook a few more minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree, or transfer soup to a blender in 2-3 batches, puree, and return to a clean pot.
- Heat & serve with a pretty drizzle of olive oil on top.
© Christy Halvorson Ross